Service Desk Applications Principle
LIMA have been solving business challenges since 1997, through the design and delivery of award-winning IT solutions and services across a range of sectors and industries. From infrastructure and cloud solutions to managed service and support, we work with some of the leading vendors in the world to deliver outstanding solutions to the SME market.
We are entering the next exciting phase of growth having recently defined a new strategy, restructured at Board level and taken on external investment which has led to this defined role that will be instrumental in helping us achieve our goals.
As Applications Principle you will be the lead engineer for the Application Technology Team. Whilst this remains an advanced technical role with some hands-on work, you will also be required to lead the Applications Service Engineering Team. As such, strong experience installing and/or supporting multiple of the following technologies is essential: Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL, Microsoft RDS, Citrix applications such as NetScaler, Storefront, PVS, XenApp, XenDesktop etc., cloud services such as O365, Azure or AWS, and also have a solid understanding of compute, storage and networking principles. This is a 24x7 role so you will be expected to undertake shift-based work in accordance with our 24x7 rota.
You will be comfortable speaking to clients on the telephone or via email and confident to ensure customer SLAs are adhered to. You must be able to work to deadlines and adapt priorities according to business needs.
LIMA operates in a matrix management approach and so the Principle will be expected to work closely with the Service Delivery Teams in ensuring a positive customer experience and effective support service.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
You will undertake a wide range of duties including but not limited to:
- Line manage a small team of engineers within your practice including:
- Working with the Head of Technology to ensure that your resource pool has the skills and headcount to support technology and contract pipeline.
- Manage the personal development of team members from both a technology and service perspective.
- Ensuring team members have personal development plans.
- Recruiting new team members.
- Managing performance, capability, escalations and new starter inductions.
- Day to to day mentoring and training of other members of the Applications technology team.
- Maintain up to date in-depth knowledge and skills of technologies and products in the area of specialisation.
- Produce high quality documentation as part of the ongoing service improvement process.
- Own and develop continuous improvement activities for your areas of responsibility in order to increase quality, efficiency, proactivity, profitability and capabilities across the Applications Team.
- Ensure that effective knowledge management databases are maintained by the team.
- Using MI and live ticket data to spot escalating issues or when engineers are struggling with an issue and intervene with guidance and support.
- Identify underlining support trends and suggest permanent fixes to eradicate repeat faults from occurring.
- Contribute to the MIM/RCA process.
- Creation and approval of RFCs.
- Perform technical onboarding duties as required.
- Participate in the 24x7 support service. This is a shift-based service which will include overnight shift patterns.
This job description is not exhaustive; you may be expected to carry out additional duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the business.
Skills, Experience, and Qualifications
- Up to date technical accreditations or demonstrable experience in supporting application technologies including:
- Microsoft 365
- Exchange Online and on premise
- Microsoft Teams
- Azure Active Directory
- Microsoft Enterprise & Mobility Security
- Microsoft Intune
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Strong experience in identifying and delivering continuous service improvements for your areas of responsibility.
- A good communicator at a technical and non-technical level in written and oral forms.
- Experience in mentoring and talent development and/or leading small teams.
- Proven experience in a 3rd line support role.
- Strong Managed Service Provider service desk experience.
- Installation/technical engineering/project experience.
- Self-motivated with excellent time management skills.
- Strong team leading and mentoring skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Strong understanding of ITIL methodology.
- Data centre experience.
- Technical accreditations or demonstratable experience in designing and delivering Infrastructure solutions that include the following technologies:
- Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops
- Citrix Netscaler
- Windows Virtual Desktop
- Microsoft Azure
Some of the LIMA benefits
- Share in success
- Cycle to work scheme
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Regular employee events
- Staff Treats
- Have your birthday off
- LIMA Academy