Third Line Application Engineer
Are you an experienced Third Line Applications Engineer with a customer-focused mindset? If the answer’s yes, then this role could be for you.
Here at LIMA, we’ve been solving business challenges since 1997, through the design and delivery of award-winning IT solutions and services. From infrastructure and cloud solutions to managed service and support, we work with market-leading vendors to deliver first-class solutions to the SME market. We’re entering an exciting phase of growth having received significant investment, restructured at Board level, and defined a new strategy. We’re going from strength to strength and are looking to invest in our Service Desk Team with this new role.
Our Third Line team is the escalation point for incident tickets raised from First and Second Line teams. These Third Line incident tickets have the potential to be more complex, long-standing tickets, which may require remote diagnostic intervention with vendor support, or further advice and guidance from our Solutions Team. Our Third Line engineers also act as knowledge guardians making sure that accurate documentation is gathered when onboarding customers.
For this role we expect you to have strong experience installing and/or supporting the following technologies: Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL, Microsoft RDS/Citrix, VMware, cloud services such as O365 and Azure, and have a solid understanding of compute, storage and networking principles. A key part of this role is communicating with customers so you will be confident discussing options and resolutions with customers, and asking senior team members for assistance to ensure customer SLAs are adhered to. You must be able to work to deadlines and adapt priorities according to business needs.
You will demonstrate your strong passion and ambition by continually developing your skills and experience. In return we will invest in your training, offering a clear path for your career development including potential progression to one of our specialist teams; applications, networks, infrastructure, monitoring, solutions, or installations.
Key responsibilities include
- Being the point of escalation for the First and Second Line support teams.
- Providing business as usual Third Line support for high-level technical issues, supporting project tasks where required.
- Maintaining and updating documentation in IT Glue for customer information.
- Creating support documentation.
- Identifying underlying support trends, suggesting permanent fixes to prevent faults from recurring.
- Having a specialism in a technology stream; infrastructure, applications, or networks (or a combination thereof).
- Contributing to the MIM/RCA process.
- Creating and approval of RFCs.
- Performing technical onboarding duties as required.
- Acting as the overflow point for phone calls in the event of a busy/undermanned Service Desk (undermanned due to it being the early/late shift).
- Providing informal mentoring/training of Second Line support teams.
- Providing additional support to the Solutions Team, for example, if they are unavailable for aspects such as site visits, data centre visits.
- Working with the Solutions Team on customer deployments to ensure any knowledge gaps are identified and training carried out.
- Being available to support our on-call function.
Skills, experience and qualifications
- Proven capability in a Third Line support role with evidence of installation, technical engineering, and project experience.
- Self-motivated with excellent time management skills.
- Strong mentoring skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate at all levels.
- Strong understanding of ITIL methodology and standards.
- Strong experience supporting in a wide range of technologies, ideally with proven certification.
- Specialism in one of the following areas: cloud, applications, networks, infrastructure, virtualisation, or storage.
Ideally, we’d also prefer you to have:
- Previous experience as part of a Managed Service Provider Service Desk team
- Data centre experience
- ITIL Foundation certification
- Pension Scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Weekly fresh fruit delivery
- Regular company/team and charity social events
- Access to Manchester Arena Prime Seat tickets
- Dress down Friday
- Have your birthday off
- Death in Service policy
- Free eye tests
- Departmental lunches with CEO